Reflexology is a protocol of manual techniques such as thumb and finger-walking, hook and backup, and rotating on a point applied to specific reflex areas predominantly on the feet and hands. These techniques stimulate the complex neural pathways linking body systems, supporting the body’s efforts to function optimally. The effectiveness of reflexology is recognized worldwide by various national health institutions and the public at large as a distinct complementary practice within the health services field.
Practitioners wishing to practice Reflexology as a professional for fee, barter, or trade, in Arkansas are governed by the Department of Health. There are exemptions to this law, so you may wish to read the law to see whether you need a massage license or not. There are Rules & Regulations which are also important to read and understand for licensed massage therapists working in Arkansas. Reflexology laws, registration, and regulation vary by state.
My classes are designed for anyone to participate and practice this amazing artistic science, but please be aware that you should not charge for services offered to the public unless you have a proper license to touch the feet and/or hands. Please verify your eligibility by contacting the appropriate city and/or state officials regulating your Scope of Practice.
Stephenie A. Cooke is one of only 6 nationally board certified Reflexologists in Arkansas by the American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB). She is certified in both the feet and hands. Stephenie holds a Massage Therapy Instructor license with the Arkansas Department of Health.
Many of the classes included in the requirements for certification are accepted for continuing education requirements by the Arkansas Department of Health and the Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy (ASBPT).
Guidelines for the Reflexology Certification Program:
- You must register (comes with a fee which includes mentoring time and credit towards certification) with A Nurturing Touch, Inc./Stephenie A Cooke for the certification program. You can do this by selecting the Registration/Mentoring option under CE Classes and paying via credit card OR contact me directly for a certification registration form with payment by check/cash.
- You will be responsible for keeping your current address and contact information updated. As you choose specific courses you wish to complete, you may register for those on-line or contact me for a class registration form to be mailed to you.
- Past attendance in Reflexology classes listed above will be “grand-fathered” in as part of this program if no more than 12 months have lapsed by the time you register.
- Your status in this program is in jeopardy if a class is not taken within a 12-month period.
- Class fees and dates of offerings are subject to change. No discounts may be applied to participate in this program. You may repeat a class(es) at a 50% discount if you return within 12-months of your original attendance for said class(es).
- In order to obtain a certificate, all classes have to be attended, case studies must be presented with a score of PASS and a practical and final exam must be taken with a score of 75% or better.
- Payments are expected at the time of class, mentoring, or testing. Most participants pay as they register for each individual class or classes.
** Please note: there is no timeline to complete the program. You take classes and participate at your own pace. I suggest you attempt to complete all coursework within 24 months.
- ADoH = Arkansas Department of Health approved class for continuing education credit.
- ASBPT = Arkansas State Board of Physical Therapy approved class for contact hours.
Program to certifiy with 130 hours of credit:
This option is designed for persons having had prior anatomy & physiology training that may be considered for national certification or for other reasons required/desired by the participant. When completed, the participant will receive credit and a certificate for 130 hours of study.
The Class Registration & Service Offerings page will have a listing of current courses being offered along with a description, location, cost, etc. At this time, the cost for in-classroom study is $20/credit hour.
Classes/Commitments:Registration/Mentoring work with Stephenie hands-on 8 hours credit
- Registration/Mentoring work with Stephenie (includes hands-on time), 8 hours credit towards certification.
- Purchase Reflexology Beginners DVD package and will have some reading assignments for 12 hours of credit towards certification. This comes with my 90-minute DVD, instruction booklet, “fake” foot, history book, and other items. If you wish NOT to purchase the whole kit, you will need the DVD/booklet and history book by Christine Issel for the 12 hours of credit (non-ADoH).
- Reflexology & Related Modalities Phase 1, 6 hours by the ADoH/ASBPT
- Reflexology & Related Modalities Phase II, 15 hours by the ADoH and 12.5 hours ASBPT
The classes listed above are the foundational classes for Foot Reflexology. You need to take these before the more advanced course work.
- CHOICE OF: Communication Techniques for Body Workers or other Business Basics & Marketing course, 6 hours by the ADoH
- Foot Reflexology: A&P and Conditions, 9 hours by the ADoH
- Advanced Techniques, I 7 hours by the ADoH
- Alternative Considerations for Reflex. Session, 6 hours by the ADoH
- Introduction to Hand Reflexology, 7 hours by the ADoH/ ASBPT
- CHOICE OF: Hand Reflexology: A&P and Conditions, 9 hours by the ADoH OR Advanced Tech 2, 6 hours by the ADoH with 3 hours additional assignments for certification.
- Case Studies with Documentation – 40 hours of credit towards certification.
- Instruction for the documentation process is by appointment, small class or conference call.
- 40 case studies lasting 60 minutes each, with a minimum of 10 clients.
- You must use the documentation forms/layouts provided to you by A Nurturing Touch/Stephenie A Cooke.
- Grading will be done on a pass/fail basis and a score of pass is required for completion of the course.
- Submit cases studies during the course of study or at the end. Suggest you do it as you go along. These are graded on pass/fail basis.
- Program Review, Q&A, Final Exam, and National Prep, 5 hours credit
- The FINAL stages of certification are to complete Stephenie’s written exam that must be passed by a score of 75% or above and a practical, hands-on test that will be graded on a pass/fail basis.
SCHEDULING OF COURSES WILL BE SOMEWHAT LIMITED AND NOT AS FLEXIBLE AS IN THE PAST DUE TO AN UPCOMING RELOCATION. THE CLINIC WILL REMAIN IN IT’S CURRENT LOCATION, BUT CLASSES WILL NOT BE OFFERED AS FREQUENTLY AND WILL TYPICALLY BE SCHEDULED AROUND REQUESTS FROM THOSE ACTUALLY REGISTERED FOR CERTIFICATION.